GDPR seminar with guest speaker E_Radar

Tags: Seminar, GDPR, Guest Speaker

On Tuesday 13th March SCE Solicitors, with guest speaker Will Roebuck from E_Radar, held a full day workshop at our offices in Leeds, to explain the GDPR obligations for Employers.  The sell-out session was a huge success and received outstanding feedback. 

From the completed surveys -

80% said that the seminar met their expectations and the other 20% said that their expectations were met over and beyond.

When asked about the style and content of the speakers 60% said that it was good and the other 40% said that it was excellent.

All the attendees said that the workshop was relevant to their needs, with 60% of them saying it was very relevant.

All the attendees said that they would recommend the workshop to colleagues.

When asked what they most enjoyed, one attendee said the “Guest Speakers - cleared up a number of questions”.  Other comments received included - 

“Simply delivered and comfortable group. Structured. Feel much less scared. Great day! Thankyou!”

 “Very informative. Good information, easy to understand - good handouts”

“Structured way forward in how to deal with employees for GDPR”

“Understanding my obligations and legal basis - start an action plan”

We also received numerous positive comments about the lunch and refreshments provided for the delegates.  We do like to look after clients.

Our top takeaway from the seminar was that – ‘Consent’ is only one lawful basis for processing, but there are alternatives. 

Consent is not inherently better or more important than these alternatives. Consent is appropriate if you can offer people real choice and control over how you use their data. But if you cannot offer a genuine choice, you should consider using an alternative, such as ‘Legitimate Interest’ or 'Contract'.

‘Contract’ will particularly apply for businesses in relation to processing employee’s data, as there is a contractual obligation to process that data.

SCE Solicitors has also produced a Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA) template and shared it with our MyHR clients.  If you would like to receive a copy of the DPIA template or would like help and advice regarding GDPR, please do not hesitate to contact me or the employment team on 0113 350 4030 or at Richard.Newstead@scesolicitors.co.uk.  


SCE Solicitors is a boutique employment law practice based in Leeds which advises clients nationwide.  Please note that the information in this blog is to provide information of general interest in a summary manner and should not be construed as individual legal advice. Readers should consult with SCE Solicitors or other professional counsel before acting on the information contained here.

No Comments

Add a Comment

Subscribe to our mailing list and receive monthly updates of the articles that we publish.

* indicates required

LATEST LEGAL UPDATES:

  • Understanding Your Legal Rights When an Employee Leaves

    Tags: Notice, Garden Leave, Payment, Company Property, Training Costs, Restrictive Covenants, Exit, Resignation, Employer, Employee, Employment Law, UKEmpLaw

    When an employee leaves, the focus is often on their entitlements. But what are your rights as an employer and what practical steps can you take to ensure a smooth exit? 

    Giving Notice 

    When it comes to employees giving notice, there are several key areas to note. Employers do not have to ‘accept’ a resignation – it is a unilateral act. Equally, they do not have to accept a retraction of notice, unless it was given in the heat of the moment, or the employee was unwell.

    Employees must give at least a weeks’ notice once they have been employed for more than a month. However, longer notice is usually set out in the employment contract.

    If the employee starts work for someone else in their notice period, it is possible to obtain an injunction to prevent … more

    

Reviews and Ratings for solicitor Samira Cakali, Leeds